Nov 1, 2010

30 Days of Thanks ...

I'm so excited that it's November.  I must admit that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  It's one of the rare holidays that's not about buying stuff or getting stuff.  It's a holiday designed for giving thanks!  We are so blessed and have much to give thanks for in our lives.  Having an entire month to focus on our blessings is indeed one of the reasons I love November.

 
In our family, we have started the tradition of each night writing down what we were thankful for in the day.  The rules are we cannot repeat the same thing ... they can be thankful for the same thing, but have to think of something new too.  Today is day 1 on our 30 days of Thankfulness.
 

Michael fell asleep by his baby gate today ... so cute!
Today I am thankful that I am able to be a Stay-At-Home Mommy!  I'm thankful that my husband has a good job that allows me to fulfill my childhood dream of staying at home with the kids.  While most days, I must admit I'm not very thankful to be taking care of them.  When I look at the big picture of how God provides and what He has given me to take care of and nurture ... I'm thankful!

 
It's a lot of work that sometimes I don't handle so well, but I'm always thankful that we get to start each day fresh and with a clean slate.  I'm thankful that God is taking care of me and these kids.  I'm thankful that He's at work in my life teaching & showing me how to be more Christ-like each & every day.  I'm thankful that these kids don't keep a grudge or record of my bad mommy moments.  I'm thankful that they love me even when I'm not very lovable.  I'm thankful that they call me mom!

 
I've learned so much from having kids.  A lot about myself (my selfishness) and a lot about kids.  I've learned that it's not easy, it's not a fairy tale and it's difficult.  I've learned that I have to choose to see the good in these kids instead of the bad, difficult, frustrating or annoying things.  I truly am thankful to stay home all day and take care of my kids!

 
I'm thankful that my husband continues to give me grace when I fail in taking care of the kids or the house.  I'm thankful that he understands when things don't always get accomplished, even though I try to get everything done.  I'm thankful that he can see that one day we will have a clean house again ... when they are 18 and go off to college :-)

 
Here's what the kids were thankful for today ...
Joshua is thankful today for his toys.
Sara is thankful today for her Zooables (a toy).
Michael is thankful for his Thomas Trains (that's what I picked for him ...)

More things I'm also thankful today for ...
  • I'm thankful that I was able to take the kids to Yogurtland's for an after school treat!  Red Velvet Cupcake Batter yogurt is amazingly delicious and Joshua enjoyed the Pumpkin Pie yogurt today.  Yum!
  • I'm thankful that the Michael & Joshua helped each other out by putting all the Thomas Trains back in the box together.
  • I'm thankful that I was able to wash & fold laundry for my family.
  • I'm thankful that I was able to play puppets with Sara today.
  • I'm thankful that Sara loves to color and Joshua did his homework.
  • I'm thankful that someone finally showed my sister's condo to their client ... so glad to hear that they liked it ... praying that someone will make an offer.
  • I'm so thankful today that Hershey is healing ... it's a long & slow process, but each day she has is a blessing to our family!
  • I'm thankful that Joshua goes to a school where the teacher enjoys him and doesn't mind that he keeps her on her toes.
  • I'm thankful for Sunday's sermon about sin and how it's reminded me today about my attitude and selfishness sins.
  • I'm thankful that the kids are asleep and I was able to move Michael from the floor back to his bed without waking him up.
  • I'm thankful that I was able to cook dinner tonight for my family.
  • I'm thankful that even though they complained about eating Broccoli, they still ate all of it (Michael actually loves it).
  • I'm thankful that God has given me 3 beautiful children to raise ... what a huge task!
  • I'm thankful that God is there beside me as I raise them ... I pray that they will grow up to Love God, Serve Him and Others.
  • I'm thankful that I am able to wash the dishes and clean the kitchen for my family.
  • I'm thankful for my Bible Study group!

Michael sound asleep by his bedroom door & baby gate

I'm thankful for this month of November. I'm thankful that I get to intentionally look at each day with thankfulness and get out of the "rut" of looking at the bad things in each day. I hope you will join me in my 30 day journey of thanks!

 

 

 
Psalms 69:30 "I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving."

No comments:

Post a Comment